Researchers in the Speech Acquisition Lab explore questions about how the sound system of a second language is learned by adult learners, such as: Why do adult second language learners typically have accents? Why are some new sounds harder for adults to learn than others? What sources of information do second language learners draw on when learning a new sound system?
Welcome Caiti Hunting!
We are delighted to welcome Caiti, an undergraduate linguistics major, as the newest member of the Speech Acquisition Lab!
- Welcome Billy and Khalid!Billy Finlay & Khalid Alharbi are the newest members joining the lab this fall semester! Billy is an undergraduate linguistics major and Khalid is a first year PhD student.
The Speech Acquisition Lab will be at PSLLT 2018 - Sept 8th & 9th!
- Shannon Barrios & Joselyn Rodriguez: The role of lexical cues in the adult acquisition of L2 allophonic alternants
- Rachel Hayes-Harb & Shannon Barrios: Investigating the phonological content of learners' lexical representations for new L2 words
- Romy Ghanem, Khalid Alharbi,& Talal Alharbi: The Investigation of a Common Modern Spoken Arabic
Congratulations to recent graduate Taylor Anne Barriuso!
Taylor Anne is now a post-doc at Iowa State working with John Levis on the "golden speaker" project!
November Lab Meeting!
Thursday, November 29th from 3:30-5pm, Location LNCO 2945
- Maison will show us how to use PsychoPy software
Lab Meeting - Welcome Caiti & Lab Updates
Wednesday, October 24th from 9-10:30am, Location GC 2140
May 18, 2018 at 10:00 AM to 11:30 AM
Lab Meeting - Welcome Cailey and Tyler & Lab Updates
Friday, March 30th from 10:30-11:30am, Location TBD